In order to add tax to an invoice, you would want to create a 'Product/Service' that is tied to it's own '(Sales or similar) Tax' category so that you can see this as a separate line item in your financial and transactional reporting. Each Product/Service is tied to an accounting category, so you will want to first create a 'Sales Tax' Category before you create this Product/Service. Below are the steps to take to create this category and then product/service:
Create a Category:
- Log into Autobooks through your Online Business Banking login
- Once logged in, click the [Advanced Tools] drop-down, then click [Categories]
- From here, you'll want to click the [+Add Another Category] green button at the bottom of the page to create a new line item
- After you've done this, you will want to give this category a name, reference ID and choose the Category Group to associate it with (Income)
- Once you've saved this new Tax category, you can now go and create a Product/Service to associate to it, so you can add this as a line item on an invoice
Create a Product/Service:
- At the bottom of this page, you'll see a green [+Add Another Product/Service] button
- Click this to add a new line item on this page, and then create the appropriate name for this, like 'Tax' or 'Sales Tax'
- Next, you will want to choose the Category you just created, and then click the blue [Save Products/Services] button at the bottom of the page
After you've done this, you'll be all set to go in and bill to this new Product/Service when you go and create an invoice!