The Recurring Bill Pay page is a complimentary page to the Quick Bill Pay option, and it allows for much more customization of bill pay transactions. This page allows the scheduling of payments to only one vendor at a time, but allows for recurring payments to be set up, as well as coding to multiple Categories. To learn more about what a Category is, please click here.
Now in order to navigate to the Recurring Bill Pay page, you will need to take the following path:
- Click on Cash Out > Bills
- Doing this will take you to the All Bills page. From here, you can either click the Recurring Bill Pay button in the upper right of this page, or the Related Link at the top of the page.
Once you have made it to this page, the Recurring Bill Pay process is relatively straightforward:
- Select a cash account that you would like this bill to be paid from; since our application is linked directly to your business account with your financial institution (bank/credit union), you should see the same accounts you have with them here.
- Once a date has been selected, you will want to select a vendor to pay.
- Now you will need to select the frequency of this bill: once, monthly, or yearly. Choosing monthly will result in the payment being paid one the same day each month, or on the last day of the month, depending on the month. If yearly is selected, then the bill will be paid on the exact same date once per year.
- Next, select a payment start date. This is the date that you would like the bill pay process to begin for that specific transaction; therefore if you keep the default date (today), this bill pay transaction will being processing today. If the monthly or yearly frequency was selected in the above step, the date chosen here will be the date that the payment is pulled each month or year.
- Adding a memo is optional, but we recommend it, as this can serve as a good reminder for yourself about what this bill is paying.
- After choosing a vendor, you will need to select a Category to code this bill against. You can click the 'Add Item' green box if you would like to add an additional Category to this transaction. This would be used if you needed to code one transaction to multiple portions of your budget.
- Next, enter a short description of this bill. Since description is required for each Category, you can also make your descriptions Category specific if it helps you keep track of this bill.
- Finally, you will want to enter in the amount that you would like to be paid to the vendor.
- Once you have completed the whole line, you can click the [Schedule Payments] button to schedule this bill pay transaction. If you need to delete a row, you just need to click the red [x] button at the end of that row.
After completing these steps, you're all done, and this bill pay transaction has been completed! Depending on the vendor being paid, they will either be paid electronically, or via a mailed paper check.
Typically, larger vendors tend to be paid electronically, while smaller businesses may be paid with a paper check. A quick way to tell this is by looking at the 'estimated arrival date' of the bill pay transaction when scheduling it. Electronic payments will typically arrive within two business days, while mailed bill pay payments tend to take between 4 and 5 business days.